(photo : Sue Mills)
Guy Jean is the author of ten poetry collections. His poems have also been published in literary magazines in Canada, France and Belgium. He has translated and published two American poetry collections into French. The English translations of his poems have appeared in magazines and journals in the United States and published in a chapbook, If I were born in Prague, by Argos Book and in a collection, Mourning Ploughs the Winter, by Marick Press. German translations of his poems have been published in the German journal die horen and the Austrian journal Lichtungen.
Guy Jean resides in Gatineau, Quebec; he is Violette Lise Duguay’s partner, the father of Frédéric and Sabrina’s grandfather.
Awards, grants and memberships
• Installed into VERSeOttawa’s Hall of Fame in 2018 to recognize his artistic accomplishments and his involvement in organizational activities contributing to the enhancement and enrichment of the National Capital Region’s poet community.
• Awarded the City of Gatineau’s Prix Hommage in 2016 for his exceptional contribution to the development of poetry and literature in the Outaouais region.
• Awarded the “Association des auteurs et auteures de l’Outaouais” Prix Hommage aux bâtisseurs in 2015.
• Awarded a writer’s residence by the “Service du livre luxembourgeois de la Province de Luxembourg” at the Château du Pont d’Oye, Habay, Belgium, in 2013.
• Received an award and grant from the Sharjah Calligraphy Biennial, 2010, in the “modern calligraphy” category in recognition of the exploratory creativity demonstrated in the project Et l’eau répondit… / And Water Answered…
• Received travel grants from the “Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec” (CALQ) for the launching of If I were born in Prague in New York in 2011 and for literary events in Belgium in 2010.
• Honorary member of the “Association des auteurs et auteures de l’Outaouais”.
• Member of the “Union des écrivaines et écrivains québécois” (UNEQ).
• Member of PEN Québec.
• Member of “Culrure Outaouais”.
• Ambassador for the “Fondation Lire pour réussir”.